Social Media Predictions for 2023
Social media has become a place for brands, individuals and influencers to share photos, videos and information. With a constant flow of new ideas, concepts and trends, it’s grown beyond expectations and in 2023 it will continue to develop into one of the most highly used spaces online. Each platform is continually looking to outperform its competitors, e.g. Instagram Reels were created to rival TikTok.
According to Smart Insights, there are 4.6 Billion social media users in the world in 2022 and the majority of them are using Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
Here are 6 predictions for social media in 2023:
- TikTok, in 2023 will be the most effective form of social media marketing and the most popular platform. TikTok was the most downloaded app in 2020 and 2021 and Statista predicts by 2023 there will be 15.9 million users on TikTok in the UK. Short videos are trending and this is what TikTok does best. However, other platforms have already started to follow suit with Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels and YouTube Shorts.
- Live streaming. Twitch, the platform that’s recognised for live streaming and sharing gaming content, will progress into other areas such as lifestyle and music. LinkedIn found that 73% of Twitch users are aged between 16 and 34, the most targeted audience for social media.
- Authenticity. People are becoming more attracted to authentic content as opposed to heavily filtered images that look aesthetic. The BeReal app, released in 2020, provides content without filters and editing. There will also be an increase in User Generated Content (UGC) as more creators and brands aim to produce authentic content and be more selective in their partnerships.
- Audio content. There are currently over 383 million podcast listeners worldwide which is predicted to increase in 2023, due to a high demand for audio content, e.g. Clubhouse grew in 2021 from 2 million to 10 million weekly active users. Spotify and Apple Music currently dominate this area and in 2023 we will see more live audio rooms, streaming and user-generated audio and sounds.
- Social Media ads in 2021 brought in $177 billion (£160.7 billion) and are predicted to hit at least $681 billion (£614.4 billion) in 2023. When it comes to digital advertising, influencers and brands are using social media because of its ability to reach a larger audience.
- A virtual shopping space, set to focus on online shopping, customer service and a try-before-you-buy service, all accessible via social media. It’ll become much quicker to communicate with brands, feel more personal and will offer customers the option to try an item before buying with the use of Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR).
Social media predictions for 2023 consist of the platforms becoming more visual and authentic with live streaming and audio content being at the forefront.
The platforms will be easily accessible and have everything located in one place with just the click of a button. Don’t get left behind with 2022 trends, get in touch today!